Auto Accident FAQ

We’re Dedicated to Getting You Justice

You’ve been hurt in an auto accident through no fault of your own. What should you do next? The experienced attorneys at the Lourie Law Firm know this can be confusing. It’s normal to have questions, and we are happy to provide answers to auto accident FAQ. Contact our firm today to set up a free consultation with one of our auto accident attorneys. In the meantime, here are some common questions people have after they’ve been involved in an accident.

You are not required to have a lawyer to file an auto accident claim with the insurance company. But it’s a very good idea to have one. Keep in mind that insurance companies aren’t on your side. They want to make you a low offer to resolve your claim quickly. But you may be eligible to seek compensation that is much greater than the amount they are offering. Our experienced attorneys know how to build cases that insurance companies can’t ignore.

This could be an option, but depends on the circumstances of your specific case. Our auto accident attorneys have years of experience negotiating settlements with insurance companies that meet the needs of our clients. One of the first things we do is investigate your accident to look for evidence that the other driver was responsible. When we can establish negligence, we are in a much better position to negotiate a settlement that meets your needs. But we will be prepared to take your case to court, if that’s what it takes.

No. After being involved in an auto accident, the other driver’s insurance company may contact you and ask you to answer some questions or give a statement. You are under no obligation to do so. What they really want is to try to get you to say something they can use against you. They may try to trip you up and later suggest that you were somehow responsible for what happened. If you are contacted by the other driver’s insurance company, it’s in your best interest to tell them that you need to speak to an attorney first. Then contact us.

The way it usually works if you are in an accident caused by a negligent driver is that the driver’s insurance company ultimately pays for your claim. But in some accidents, the negligent driver responsible for causing the crash either does not have any insurance, or does not have enough to pay the full value of your claim.

In South Carolina, all drivers have the option of buying UM (uninsured) or UIM (underinsured) coverage on their policy. If you have this coverage and are hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver, your insurance company will pay at least some of the claim. We recommend that all drivers get this coverage on their policies. If you don’t have this coverage, you may still be able to file a legal claim against the other driver. One of our experienced lawyers can go over your options.